Pembroke Pines Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
Lawlor, White & Murphy Fight For Clients’ Rights to Compensation After Uber and Lyft Accidents in Broward County and Throughout South Florida
Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing platforms have become very popular over the years and their use has exploded more in recent times due to the prevalence of mobile phones, the convenience of the service, and the availability of drivers. From the comfort of your own home, users can hail rides to wherever they want to go without having to go through the hassles of using cash and traditional taxi drivers. However, Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing drivers are private drivers who use their own personal cars for this business. The use of personal cars by private drivers has generated a lot of controversy as to who is liable to pay compensatory damages in the event of an accident. Fortunately, specific Florida insurance laws apply to Lyft and Uber drivers, which are different from the rules that apply in typical car accidents in Pembroke Pines. The experienced team of Pembroke Pines Uber & Lyft accident lawyers is here to handle every aspect of your case.
Due to the complexities of the business structures of Lyft and Uber, and the existence of new laws and regulations which specifically govern the use of these ridesharing services, many people involved in Uber and Lyft accidents may not even know who to contact in case of an accident or what steps to take in order to pursue their right to compensation. For this reason, the Pembroke Pines personal injury lawyers at Lawlor, White & Murphey are always available to help you with your claim. Contact our office today for a free consultation by filling out our convenient online contact form.
Uber and Lyft Driver Safety Requirements in Florida
Uber and Lyft are relatively new forms of transportation in Pembroke Pines and throughout Florida, but legislation has already enacted a law designed to safeguard passengers who use these ride-sharing platforms. All Lyft and Uber drivers are required by law to pass a criminal background check which must be done before they become eligible to drive for Lyft or Uber. Furthermore, there is a new law that requires the following insurance coverage for all Lyft and Uber drivers that varies depending on whether or not they are carrying a passenger at the time of an accident:
- Driving with a passenger: if the Lyft or Uber driver is carrying a passenger, Florida law requires primary vehicular liability coverage of at least $1 million for bodily injury, property damage, and death.
- No passenger: if the Lyft or Uber driver is logged into his/her account so he/she can accept passengers but isn’t carrying a passenger, Florida law requires a coverage of $100,000.00 for death and bodily injury per accident, $50,000 for death and bodily injury per person, and $25,000 for property damage.
Note: for a personal driver, Florida law requires $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage and $10,000 in property damage liability insurance.
Steps you can take after an accident in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Florida’s new insurance coverage requirements for Uber and Lyft drivers protect pedestrians, drivers of other vehicles, and passengers of Uber and Lyft rides who may be injured in a Lyft or Uber accident. In spite of this, many complexities can arise when pursuing compensatory claims when a person is injured by a Lyft or Uber driver in Pembroke Pines Florida. Thus, passengers should consider taking these actions in the event of a Lyft or Uber accident:
- Request camera footage: many drivers have dash cams on their car dashboards which are turned on when they’re driving with passengers in their car, so the passenger is entitled to a copy of such camera footage from the time of the accident.
- Take photos at the scene and obtain witness information: since you must have used a smartphone to retain the services of a Lyft or Uber driver, you can use the same smartphone to take photos of the accident scene immediately after the accident. You can also do your best to obtain the names and other contact information of eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Seek medical attention: this sounds pretty obvious, but you should seek immediate medical attention after an accident.
Why Choose the Personal Injury Lawyers at Lawlor, White & Murphy to Protect Your Rights After a Lyft or Uber Accident in Pembroke Pines, Florida?
Florida is generally a no-fault state, which means that individuals typically seek compensation from their insurance companies after an accident. However, Lyft and Uber are excluded from this law, which means that individuals have to seek compensation from Lyft and Uber’s insurance companies in the event of an accident.
Our Pembroke Pines, Florida attorneys have over 20 years of experience in personal injury cases. We understand it is generally in the best interest of insurance companies to minimize personal injury compensation payments. However, Uber and Lyft are expected to provide higher coverage.
If you feel you are not being fairly compensated in an accident case involving Lyft or Uber in Pembroke Pines, Florida, you should contact our attorneys as soon as possible. We will help negotiate fair compensation for you as we have a track record of successfully obtaining full compensation from insurance companies on behalf of our clients.
Schedule a Free Consultation
If you or your loved ones were injured in an accident involving a Lyft or Uber in Pembroke Pines, Florida, call today or fill out our online contact form to schedule your free consultation with a Pembroke Pines rideshare accident attorney.
- Coral Springs Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Fort Lauderdale Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Hollywood Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Miramar Uber & Lyft Accidents Lawyer
- Pembroke Pines Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Plantation Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- Pompano Beach Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
- West Palm Beach Uber & Lyft Accident Lawyers
Lawlor, White and Murphey have office locations available by appointment located at:
- 2211 Davie Boulevard Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
- 8362 Pines Boulevard, #410, Pembroke Pines, Florida 33024
- 3014 Indian Trace, #164, Weston, Florida 33326
- 6574 North State Road 7, #349, Coconut Creek, Florida 33073
- 43 South Pompano Parkway #228, Pompano Beach, Florida 33069
- 1802 N. University Dr., #212, Plantation, Florida 33322
Contact one of our offices today for a free consultation.
Uber and Lyft Accident Frequently Asked Questions in Pembroke Pines, Florida
Both platforms are required by law to conduct a thorough background check on all drivers. Note that drivers are not eligible to drive for Uber or Lyft if they have been convicted of a felony, reckless driving, a hit-and-run accident, drunk driving, or are a sex offender.
The answer is no. If you weren’t actually carrying a Lyft or Uber passenger and you weren’t accepting passengers at the time of the accident, the general Florida Car Accidents Law will apply. You would collect compensation from your insurance company in that case.