Honors & Awards
Selected for Florida Super Lawyers 2012-2019
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
9.5/10 Avvo Rating
John K. Lawlor – Personal Injury Attorney
South Florida Personal Injury & Civil Litigation Trial Attorney
John Lawlor understands how important choosing the right personal injury attorney can be and believes that the most important representation of his success are the satisfied clients whose legal rights he has fought to uphold. Testimonials such as the clients listed above speak to the type of lawyer that he strives to be on a daily basis—providing the most knowledgeable legal representation possible while simultaneously giving his clients the compassionate support that they need while struggling to recover from the physical consequences of an accident.
Originally from Boston, Mr. Lawlor received his B.A. from Barry University in Miami and his law degree from Nova Southeastern University in 1994. After trying cases at a local litigation firm in South Florida, Mr. Lawlor opened his own practice in 1996, and, in 1998, began what is now the Law Firm of Lawlor, White & Murphey.
Mr. Lawlor’s areas of focus include complex personal injury, medical malpractice, and wrongful death cases. John spearheads the Firm’s litigation and trial practice division. He is admitted to practice before all Florida courts and the United States 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Community-Oriented Personal Injury Lawyer Dedicated to Protecting Clients’ Rights in South Florida
Mr. Lawlor has been protecting the rights of injured clients in South Florida for nearly 25 years and is dedicated to the community in which he lives and works. His personal injury practice is about much more than simply earning a living—it is about keeping the community safe for all residents and visitors. When negligent people and organizations know that there will be financial consequences to their actions, they may actually be motivated to behave more carefully in the future.
In addition to his successful legal practice, Mr. Lawlor is an Eagle member of the Florida Justice Association, the Broward County Justice Association and the American Association for Justice. Reinforcing his passion to give back to the community, he routinely accepts pro bono cases through Broward Lawyers Care to do his part in ensuring that the rights of all South Florida residents are protected, regardless of ability to pay.
What Clients Can Expect in Choosing John Lawlor to Uphold Their Legal Rights
Mr. Lawlor provides every prospective client with a free initial consultation for two primary reasons: first, to evaluate the potential case and identify options for recovering compensation for clients, and secondly, so that the client can get to know Mr. Lawlor and his style of legal practice. After the initial consultation, clients can who retain his services can expect Mr. Lawlor to:
- Discuss their case and options fully to determine the client’s preferred method for recovering compensation,
- Conduct a complete investigation and analysis of available evidence to identify the responsible parties and develop a compelling strategy for recovering maximum compensation,
- Get to know the client so that he can understand the true impact that the injury has had on that client’s life,
- Handle all communications with insurance companies and defense attorneys on the client’s behalf,
- Prepare an estimate of the case value, which may include consulting with medical experts to anticipate the future cost of medical care,
- Negotiate with insurance adjusters and defense attorneys to attempt to reach an out-of-court settlement that fairly reflects the true value of the client’s injuries,
- Prepare all necessary documentation, including legal documentation necessary to give effect to the settlement agreement and documentation required for an eventual trial,
- Advocate on behalf of the client in the courtroom if a fair and reasonable settlement agreement cannot be reached,
- Treat the client with compassion and respect throughout all phases of the financial recovery process, which includes making himself available to answer clients’ questions throughout that process.
Attorney Lawlor’s Motivation for Practicing Law
Accident victims should not have to suffer financially because of the careless acts of other people and organizations. Mr. Lawlor chose to focus his practice on personal injury law, medical malpractice, and wrongful death cases in order to support the rights of these injured clients. In his experience, most clients are at their most vulnerable after suffering a personal injury, and, as a result, may be inclined to accept settlement awards that fail to fairly approximate the actual costs of a client’s injury.
Mr. Lawlor believes in holding negligent parties financially responsible for the consequences of their actions. He also understands that the legal process for recovering that compensation is unfortunately complex and that profit-motivated insurance companies are unlikely to voluntarily provide full compensation in complex personal injury cases. Because of this, he has dedicated his practice to fighting for accident victims and working to make sure insurance companies hold up their end of the bargain in providing fair compensation.
At its core, the legal system should be about fairness and getting justice for those who have been victimized—whether by a negligent party causing an accident, through a doctor’s negligent care or otherwise. Mr. Lawlor feels fortunate to be able to help his injured clients get back on their feet financially after the setbacks created by an accident.
Florida Bar, 1995
U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
Nova Southeastern University– Shepard Broad Law Center, J.D.
Barry University, B.A.
Professional Association & Memberships:
EAGLE Member, Florida Justice Association
Member, Broward County Justice Association/Broward County Trial Lawyers Association
Member, American Association for Justice
Treasurer, Broward County Justice Association/Broward County Trial Lawyers Association Political Action Committee (PAC)
Member, Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section
Member, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)
Member, Broward Lawyers Care
Member, Florida Justice Association Broward Vanguard Committee (2011-Present)